Our History

Welcome to our new name as of 2015- the Adirondack Garden Club!  Formerly we were known as the Essex County Adirondack Garden Club (ECAGC), but our membership grew beyond Essex County to several adjacent counties in the Adirondack region of upstate New York.  Our Club membership now covers an incredible 1,824 square miles and two USDA hardiness zones.

Founded in 1928, the AGC became a member of the Garden Club of America in 1933.  During our almost 90-year history, the club hosted the 1973 National GCA annual meeting, a Summer Institute for 500 delegates, NY State Zone III Conservation Retreats and the 2013 GCA National Affairs and Legislation/Conservation Field Trip. 

The AGC is a club devoted to service within our communities, within our Adirondack region, and in support of national and international conservation issues through our national organization, The Garden Club of America.  Our motto "Not for myself alone have I labored" has inspired members for 86 years and counting. 

For the complete history of the Adirondack Garden Club (previously  known as ECAGC), click here

                  On earth there is no heaven, but there are pieces of it in the garden.  -- Jules Renard

Our Projects

Across our almost 90-year history, we have tackled numerous projects -- here are a few highlights:

  • Researched, wrote, and published 3 books - River Study, Food, Flowers and Fireworks and From Lakes to Lichen
  • Restored, maintained and planted the public Colonial Garden at the Adirondack History Museum in Elizabethtown for 46 years
  • Protected against environmentally invasive garden plantings with the Adirondack Park Invasive Plant Program through public education.
  • Published "Plant-wise" brochure to eliminate invasive species, for dissemination to the public, and to professional plant nurseries
  • Organized five conservation partners in the Adirondacks to present a Farmer's Market educational gathering called "Dig It"
  • Identified outstanding area gardens for research and documentation for a national Garden Club of America directory
  • Established a Nature Fund for financial assistance for students, teachers, and organizations for environmental conservation
  • Awarded our logo to gas stations and wayside stands meeting our scenic standards back when the region was developing
  • Fought against a light atop Whiteface Mountain and prevented the carving of a governor’s likeness on another
  • Stopped aerial spraying for black flies, instead encouraging Bti (Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis)
  • Spearheaded GCA Zone III (New York State ) Acid Rain Resolution
  • Sponsored the development of thirteen town garden clubs in the Adirondack region